Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Exploring Treichville

The closest most expats get to Treichville is when they drive over it to get to Zone 4/Marcory.  Over at Drogba's country, they call this place Kingston because of the drugs in the streets. When I told my colleagues I was going, they insisted I take people with me and were afraid that I'd stick out like a sore thumb.   
Well, I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I didn't care, and the people around me didn't care either.  I spent about 45 minutes walking around and was struck by how incredible the vibe was.  The entire place was humming with activity, and people seemed very neighborly.  All in all, it felt like a really nice breath of fresh air, and I am glad I went.   
I am going to make some of the more safety-driven people scream when I say this, but I really want to live here.  Its tree lined streets are gritty, but full of charm and it is incredibly conveniently located between Plateau and Marcory (which makes for a great commute). You can also keep your costs low by going to the local markets and shops here.
In fact, the people that do go to Treichville go for its markets.  Everything you could ever imagine is there.  In fact, before buying anything in a store anywhere else in Abidjan, I'd strongly suggest looking for it in Treichville first.  That includes appliances, electronics, sporting equipment, musical instruments, speakers, pots and pans, everything.  

 







 These guys were really friendly. I'm not quite sure what they were cooking, but it smelled delicious.








#Abidjan #Treichville

4 comments:

  1. I was just referred to your blog by a friend and I love it here!

    Treichville was the original "residential" area during colonial times. It's where well-to-do and the first intellectual Ivorians used to live. My grandparents house was there and my mom talks nostalgically about it.

    I too (Ivorian recently returned to Cote d'Ivoire) really appreciate the vibe of Treichville. I actually looked for an apartment there. For "safer" areas, you can probably look around Boulevard de Marseilles in Zone 3. There are very nice secluded neighborhoods there.

    By the way, the meat those guys were cooking is called "Shoukouya"... it's roasted meat and is indeed delicious. But I won't recommand it until you have stayed at least a year! :)

    Can't wait to read more about your accounts of my challenging yet wonderful hometown. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! It really means a lot. I am living in BiƩtry, but I really like Treichville...

      Delete
    2. The pics are wonderful! Reminds me of some parts of Trinidad

      Delete
    3. Now that you mention it, it does look a lot like Trinidad! Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment